felt x fell
(these two past tense verbs always get mixed up!)
felt: past tense of feel
- Yesterday, I felt really sick !
fell: past tense of fall
- He fell on his skateboard while going up the ramp.
funny x fun
funny: describes something as being humorous
- The movie was so funny
fun: describes something as entertaining
- Going on the rollercoaster was so much fun !
stranger x foreigner
stranger: a person whom you don’t know
- I don’t open the door to strangers.
foreigner: a person from a different country living in your country.
- When foreigners come here, it will take a long time for them to get adjusted!
especially x specifically
especially: when you have a choice and you like one above all others with enthusiasm.
- I love ice-cream, and especially chocolate!
specially: another word for “specifically” to highlight an important point without enthusiastic positivity.
- we need to close all the accounts, specially this one that isn’t doing well.
host x guest
host: the person who is organizing an event
- ask the host if she has an exctra wine glass for you.
guest: a visitor at an event
- all guests should bring a gift at a wedding.
Meaning x opinion
meaning: the definition of a word or further explanation of an action for clarification.
- what is the meaning of the word “curse”
- I see you didn’t understand me, what I meant was that I think we should stop being in a relationship.
opinion: a personal evaluation or judgement about something or someone.
- My opinion is that we are actually doomed !
chef x chief
chef: a professional head cook in a restaurant
- the chef on tv creates amazing dishes
chief: the head top professional in certain fields.
- the chief inspector will come here soon to look at the progress.