I come across these mistakes so often when I teach English that it’s time to share them with everyone. But fear not, this list is useful for all English learners, not just Czech speakers.
healthy x health
healthy: (personal adjective)
- Today I don’t feel sick, I’m finally healthy!
- The economy isn’t healthy these days .
- The health of the economy is not looking good.
- Good health should be taught at school.
view of x view on
view of (what I see)
- I have a beautiful view of downtown from my window .
- The view of the stage sucks from the back.
- My view on the topic is complicated.
- People have a view on everything nowadays.
- I’m looking at the picture, but I still don’t see the hidden meaning.
- Stop looking at me!
- I didn’t see her yesterday, was she at the party?
- I saw how it was done, but I still can’t replicate it.
watch: look at something for a longer period of time with intention.
- I watched an amazing film last night!
- They were watching the bird flock and documenting their movement.
- During the winter, I like to go to cafes and read.
- I drink at least 2 coffees during the day.
- John has lived in Berlin for 10 years.
- I can go without cake for a maximum of 2 days.
- They have been together since they were in high school.
- I’ve been up since 2 am.
- could you please pass the butter?
- I would like a small beer, please.
- I’m sorry to interrupt, but could I ask ( * not “have” ) a question.
- So sorry, I didn’t mean to do that!
- Have a good time at the theater!
- I think the kids had a good time last night.
- I’ll see you tomorrow, have a nice day!
- Have a nice day everyone!